How Will Ning's Move, To Phase Out Free Networks, Effect You?

I think it would be interesting to hear, how will Ning's decision to "phase out free networks", effect you?

Please be respectful of our readers, and each other. But, do feel free to tell your story.

Maybe some of the stories will bring Network Creators together, and some partnerships can be formed.

Or maybe someone has a way to help a fellow Creator, even if just a small gesture.

Sincerely,
Jen

Views: 733

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For the convenience of Ning Network owners/creators who may be debating on whether to keep & pay for the new Ning coming, or close down/move elsewhere, I've put together a running list of free social network systems that have most of the same features as Ning, both as a 3rd party system [like Ning], or software [like Dolphin].

This list updates whenever I find anything new:
http://intentone.blogspot.com/2010/04/ning-network-competitors.html

>>>>>>>>>>>>

I will also offer to take in all "related" networks [into stand alone Groups], and any of your members, should this be a short term or better alternative for you, and to forgo building yet another network.

My networks are:

http://livingonlove.ning.com Living On Love Magazine
A network based on love, energy, joy, inspiration, well being, healing, etc...

http://intentionalone.ning.com The Intentional Ones
This network is rather new and related to intent, creating, manifesting, self improvement, etc... and may keep if an influx of new members/networks want to come in.

http://essenceofeden.ning.com The Essence Of Eden
This is a sustainable living network, which has been a little slow lately, yet may consider keeping if enough new members/networks had an interest.

At any rate, the "Living On Love Network" will stay intact regardless.

This is certainly not to circumvent any ideas the network owner/s may be entertaining in regard to Ning's changes. It is just provided as one more possibility for saving groups and networks that might otherwise disappear.

There is one other network [not mine] http://humanityhealing.ning.com. It is a "all modalities" healing/outreach network which is offering to take in all related networks and members as well.

Feel free to share with other network creators looking for a solution & their members.
Hi Jen,

It doesn't affect me because we've used paid services from the start, but I couldn't sympathize more with the many Ning creators who feel like they've had the rug pulled out from under them. These people started their Ning networks because they believed that Ning, like Google and other service providers, would always being there for them for the long-haul. They've worked and slaved to build their networks, taking Ning's word that they could depend on Ning to provide them at least a basic community indefinitely.

Moving to a new platform, even one just as easy to use and robust as Ning, isn't as easy a solution as Ning is implying it will be. How will they be able to move their existing forums, groups and blogs? And think about all the links to them and their content from other sites and search engines. Every one of those links will have to be reestablished, and that could be years of hard work and dedication down the drain.

Ning made a promise, a commitment to them, and now they're back to square one. For Ning's CEO to make such a flippant announcement without having a damage-free transition route in place is unconscionable.

I love my Ning network, but if it wouldn't be suicide for us to leave Ning, for the same reasons it would be for many of those affected, I'd be planning my transition away from Ning today.

I urge Ning to reconsider, and if they won't, to find a service provider like Google to who will seamlessly take over hosting of free Ning accounts seamlessly, including preserving links, so the free networks don't have to start again from square one. Google will make 100% of the Adwords revenue if they take over these accounts, so I think a transition involving them could be a win-win-win for all parties involved.

Ning...I hope you're reading this. I absolutely appreciate your need to be profitable, but simply giving creators "adequate time to transition" isn't good enough. Put yourself in the shoes of the millions you've made promises to.

Steve Cyrkin
Steve,
Well written, love your articulation. This is very thoughtful of you to feel for the other side. Good things come to good people, even if in the end.
Best to you,
Jen
Yes, Google, indeed.
Thanks Steve,

Well written.
Wow, well spoken Steve... KUDOS on behalf of all NETWORK CREATORS...

Charmain Jensen-Voisine
"(...) taking Ning's word that they could depend on Ning to provide them at least a basic community indefinitely (...)"

You did read the TOS while signing up, didn't you? Sure you did - only a fool wouldn't. You'll definitely remember section 25 then, but for those who don't... here it comes!

25. Changes to Ning Platform

Ning reserves the right at any time (and from time to time) to modify, suspend, or discontinue providing the Ning Platform or any part thereof with or without notice. Ning will not be liable to you or to any third party for any modification, suspension or discontinuance of the Ning Platform.

Seems pretty clear to me. Ning is simply doing what all users from the moment of their signing up have given them the right to do: they discontinue providing a part of the Ning Platform, to wit the free part. Nothing out of line, nothing deceptive, nothing indecent: Ning simply exercises a right that all of us have granted them.

Remarkably though: now it doesn't suit the melodramatically inclined whiners anymore, they want to take that once given right back from Ning. Even more remarkable: many of those whiners insist that Ning has given them a right to free Networks, and vilify Ning for taking away that (completely imaginary!) "right". An impressive example of turning things totally upside down.

Jaap Verduijn.
At present I am trialing other community site products. I have tried socialgo, its to limited on many the things I want to do. Spruz looked wonderful at first until I found its limitations its not easy to change and the blogs froze on me. Then there is webs again limitations, but I am still working and I may find way round the problem.

I think I will have to program my own community site and come to think of it I can only trust myself as later I might find a similar problem using off the web free community builder. I am not frighten I will lose my membership as its a society community. I can drag of their files and data, but they will have to sign in first to the new site. I am certainly not relying on ning for the exportation as I don't trust them.
wackwall.com not the best but they update the networks weekly they have come a long way in improvements and i threw the news of ning into a couple suggestion blogs they have hoping they will double efforts to make vast improvements faster to get as many ning networks transfered to them they also offer all free domain forwarding and let you host ads for free so you can make a little money from the start as well as i dont think they are to limited on bandwidth tho they only accept external videos for the video sections but its better than socialgo and spruz i find and webs just isnt targeted at social networking good luck my feloow ning owners and remeber mysql and my php isnt hard to learn we can get free hosting at 000webhost and start playing with scripting and learn it ive been teaching myself php
Especially given today;s economy this is a real BLOW to non-profits,

In the past Bibg has always been exemplary in its support of the non-profit community.

While this decision is understandable from the point of view of Ning's profitability, at the same time it is a blemish on Ning's reputation as a good corporate citizen as well as showing a lack of empathy, consideration and humanity.

Many worthy causes are critically hindered by this.

We urge re-consideration of this decision.

Thank you Jen.
My pleasure. Thank you, too. Maybe Ning will read through this thread, and hear how this is effecting Network Creators.
:-)
It's sad that once again Corporate greed wins out over common decency and respect for those of us who have little or no capital to maintain a social network that we love and took great care in creating. I do not take kindly in being strong armed to pay all of a sudden for something that was free to begin with, it's just a ploy to get all creators to pay, "or else we kill your networks", sounds a lot like extortion and just plain bullying.

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by JenSocial.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Home
VIP Ning Tips