New Ning Dashboard (Manage Panel) - What Are Your Thoughts?

First, let me announce: I've added a new Forum Category called "Join The Conversation". This Category will be used for Forum Discussions that may lead to heated discussion and debate. Now there are two Admin Categories on JenSocial Forums - - one for Announcements and one for Conversation. Naturally I have made the Announcements Category for Admin only. And, for now I have set the Join the Conversation for Admin. only. If you think I should open it to all, I will be happy to change it. Just let me know.

So tell me, what do you think about the new Ning Dashboard (Manage Panel)? I've been trying to use it all day, and as much as I hate to complain, I don't like it, at all. Like I've already stated on Ning's Creator site, maybe I'm just set in my ways. Is it that I use the dashboard so much that the new orientation (side links) has me all off-balance? It really throws me.

This is what I just wrote on Creators in this Discussion:
Sorry Ning. The new manage panel is maddening. It took me 10 minutes to find out how to add a new Category to a Forum - - good grief. And, it may not be that far off from the old. But since the orientation is totally different, it is completely discombobulating - - for me at least.

I hope you all hear me. I'm the kind of person who can catch on quickly, and don't mind change for the most part. If I'm confused, not good.

For anyone who needs to add a Forum Category: Manage/Settings/Features/Forum

I'm trying to decipher if the links are the same. Are they? If so, I'll just go by URL, instead of this panel.

I've been designing software for 20+ years. I just don't get this. Why go from a lovely Web2.0 look with easy icons, to a "smushed" up side panel with old fashioned links that you have to drill down over and over to get to where you want to go?

Best Regards,
Jen

UPDATE - GREAT NEWS!
Ning has made the statement that they are working on giving us an option to use the old Manage Panel!

What are your thoughts? Join the Conversation!

Views: 425

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hell Thunder X, I can't even find them. LOL! And this is what I do for a living.
I kinda figured out that the "My Network" was the "Manage", but where is everything? This is way too much change. Looks downgraded instead of upgraded..Sorry, but thats how I feel, and Im going to pay for this??
It's going to take a bit of getting used to for sure. The new graphs are kind of cool, but finding things it NOT easy. lol Broadcast took me ages to find, and just when I think I have gotten it all figured out, I find that I've forgotten where something was after all and have to wade back through all the links. Ugh!
Hi Thunder X,
I can relate, for sure. ;-) You do a great job helping folks out.
Hi Jen, this new dashboard really sucks. Where is the TAB manager all other TOOLS? I hope NING will bring us back the older manage page. That some feature - jukebox - classifieds - are not working anymore is stupid. Best, Jens
Hi Jens,
Unfortunately, you have to look and dig to find the links.
Good to see you!
Jen
l put the abobe air on and l do not know why l did it now. Put somewheres in there is a adobe air download thing. And now do not know where l seen it. Do miss those icons.
To be able to back up your network.
Here we go again. LOL All of your controls are still there, you just have to look for them. Familiarize yourself with the new layout.

This is all Ning's fault for not giving nc's a heads-up on the new set up. People say Ning should give me a job, but I'll take a years subscription for my work today instead.
yes it does look downgraded and not as user friendly ! nothing on the 'network ' area works! yikes!
Jen. I think I am already used to it. To me it is a minor thing. Since nobody sees the dashboard except me, and I am used to it...well...I was around long before icons and I guess I am an old fuddy duddy, but don't care for icons. I guess they are good, but to me, what we need to discuss is the missing apps, and I am missing half my content because my joomla bridge has collapsed. The third party apps you need, I only used one, the mp3's app which was really cool....and I want it back. I need to know and soon, what is being done. Since if we cannot resolve the problem, we will have to make other (costly) arrangements. I also just noticed that the center column is not adjusting properly to picture sizes the way it did before the change...(I wonder what we will call this day in the future...'the big change" or what. Basically, I was encouraged at the fast response to problems in beta, but since they don't want to address the open social, source stuff, it leads me to believe they might be stumped. And that worries me.
Well, I found teh dashboard, and there is nothing there. Absolutely!! I ahve been there many times. Its just page, thats it, nothing there, and nothing works..period!! And no Apps pop up at all..All I can access is the 3 new apps that is advertised and thats it.

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by JenSocial.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Home
VIP Ning Tips