How Will Ning's Move, To Phase Out Free Networks, Effect You?

I think it would be interesting to hear, how will Ning's decision to "phase out free networks", effect you?

Please be respectful of our readers, and each other. But, do feel free to tell your story.

Maybe some of the stories will bring Network Creators together, and some partnerships can be formed.

Or maybe someone has a way to help a fellow Creator, even if just a small gesture.

Sincerely,
Jen

Views: 733

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for posting this discussion, Jen. I am learning more about other options for my community. My current plan is to go premium in the interim. I am disappointed that the transition time seems so small. The 90 days they are mentioning does not give a lot of time to move a lot of content for the sites of some of my friends. Just re-creating the various links seems almost overwhelming. At this time, my site The Mystic Glen is small, so we shall see.

I have moved some of our training content to another website host. Since the School on my community only required a place to store lessons and a simple forum for exercise responses, I moved that section there with a link from my ning community.

The purpose of my site is to guide and train - a virtually reference site. I don't want to charge my membership. That's just my own personal preference. I know others are doing that in prep to go premium, but I really don't want to. The current premium rates are within my personal budget, however, I fear that this new guy is only looking short term profits (a major error as our current economic crisis will attest to) rather than long-term good-will. If the premium rates rise too excessively, I may have to go elsewhere.

I will check out some of the other sites mentioned in previous posts.
My pleasure. Good luck with whatever decision you make. You may find this Group helpful: Alternative Solutions to Ning
:-)
is there some way to put a donate button/pay pall option on our main page?
I have a merchant account with Pay Pal so I know I have access to one. Under merchant services I can create a button for services/subscriptions.
Sure. Create your button via PayPal. Copy/paste the code to a text box on your home page. You may consider adding to right column, so it displays on all pages.
I found this link that you may find helpful:
Intro to PayPal Buttons
ning should not phase out free ning sites...........what is wrong with free ning sites? so many network creators's hard work is involved here and with their efforts ning has become the largest network hosting provider, now if ning phases out free sites,then injustice will be done a lot of network creators,this is not fair at all, why is ning thinking so commercially? it should think for its users' benefit also
ning should not phase out free ning sites...........what is wrong with free ning sites? so many network creators's hard work is involved here and with their efforts ning has become the largest network hosting provider, now if ning phases out free sites,then injustice will be done a lot of network creators,this is not fair at all, why is ning thinking so commercially? it should think for its users' benefit also
Having taken nearly 2 years to 'learn ning' and attract a solid base of members, I am unwilling to begin all that time investment again. Will it never end?
1. The clumsy change of policy is just a supra-example of conventional internet ethics; we see it daily, adverts for things that cost' $47 till midnight tonight' go back up to $2047' if you don't get in quick. It's irritating and off-putting but we are in a market that can name it's own price whenever it likes. There are no consumer guidelines for net services except the desire of people to poessess whatever it is that they have to have right at that moment.

2. Speculation and disaster-mongering are great attractors of disaster. Since we don't know of ning's conclusions yet it is silly to expend energy hypothesising. Adapting, (by not putting all our eggs in one basket)
strategising (by backing-up precious info and contacts) and co-creating (be merging) yes.

The Theatre for Dreams is a site devoted to Dream Fulfilment. We wold be happy to umbrella with other sites of affinity to share admin costs. Just contact jenniekis@gmail.com if interested. And Jen please let us know of your evolution; You're a star.
Love Jenni
*blush* awww thanks, Jenni. One place I will remain, is here. This site will serve all Social Network Communities (except Adult), regardless of platform. That's my plan.

I'm a little concerned about your email being posted. So many Internet email harvesters may pick it up and ruin your box with spam.

Nice offer to fellow NCs.
Best to you,
:-)
Jen
Hello Jen,

I am concerned that Ning among other site providers are going to change people fees for having content on the net. This phase out will go universal it seems... thee are many reason for it depending on your sources... and many opinions for it... but unfortunately it will come down to one thing at the end of the day if it is allow to continue... and that is more control over the net, less connections with people wold wide by means of prices people out of the main stream.

CAN SOMETHING BE DONE?

I certainly hope we the people come up with a solution before its too late.

Love you all *XXX*
there is a petition you can sign

* Act Now
* Donate
* The Blog
* Your Stories
* Your Videos
* FAQ
* Spread the World

It’s Our Internet, Not Theirs

An outrageous federal court decision could hand over control of the Internet to companies like Comcast, AT&T and Verizon. The FCC can act to reassert its authority and stand with the nearly 2 million Americans who have demanded Net Neutrality -- the one thing stopping these companies from interfering with your experience online.

As the FCC weighs an important Net Neutrality rule and its very ability to protect Internet users, it must hear from you. Sign this letter now and tell the FCC to stand up for the public and protect the open Internet once and for all.

https://secure.freepress.net/site/Advocacy?pagename=homepage&cm...

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by JenSocial.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Home
VIP Ning Tips