In the midst of the Ning Storm, What’s Your Next Move? We would love to hear from you.

On April 15, 2010, the new CEO (Jason Rosenthal) of Ning Social Networks made a fairly shocking announcement: Ning will start "phasing out free Ning Networks". ...more

In the past 2 years, Ning has become one of the Industry leaders in Social Community platforms - - enabling just about anyone to create a free Social Network of their own - - with members and a full featured Online Community.

This has been a devastating blow for a lot of small networks who can't possibly see their way clear, to pay a monthly service fee. And some of this is not just affordability to a lot of Network Creators who own free sites, but accountability and principle - - doing the right thing. Many of the free sites have been built-up over years, with more passion than one can possibly imagine. There are free sites on just about any topic imaginable - - sites like: family sites, school sports, art, environmental, church, support sites, educational sites, sites for: pets, helping find abducted children, memorial, and tons of grass-roots type causes and non-profit sites. So, it has been a shocking experience for many. And, it's not over yet.

On the other side of the coin, simply stated: for most Ning Network Owners already paying for premium services, this is a relief and great news.  Especially in regards to adding more value to their Networks - - the New Ning will possibly mean a true white label, less cross-breeding, and a chance to present Social Networks as their "own", as a real independent business, instead of "just another Ning". There are a lot of Advertisers that will not buy Ad Space from Ning Networks. It's just a fact. But, that should change too.

A lot has happened since the first announcement. For one, following the 2nd announcement on April 16, 2010 - - the much awaited Premium Package/Plans were announced on May 4, 2010. ...more

There have been tons of heated discussions going on, here on the Directory, Ning's Creator site, Spruz sites like the new Ning Refugees, and discussions taking place all over the Internet from TechCrunch to the Times. There has been a lot of screaming, loss of sleep, and even petitions. News headlines have been hopping with news about Ning, both positive and negative. Ning Competitors have been working overtime, making platform plans, changes, press releases etc...trying to offer the free Ning Networks a new home for those who can't stay on Ning.

Network Creators of free Ning Networks have been scrambling, trying to figure out what's next. So, what happens to networks whose owners don’t want to pay, can't pay, or don’t qualify for the educational sponsorship (announced with plans)?...more The Network Owners of these free Ning sites are in the process of trying to figure out an exit plan, looking for alternative platforms, and all within thirty days of the new plans’ arrival in July. Ning CEO, Jason Rosenthal makes promises of a “clear migration path...”  But no one knows yet, what will actually be available for export. And most importantly, how will the exported data/content be utilized on other platforms?

What is your next move?
  • Will you stay with Ning and upgrade to premium?
  • Will you move to another platform?
  • Are you still trying to make a decision?
  • Will you delete your Ning Network, and hope to forget the whole experience?

Views: 524

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am six months into an Ancient Greek prose composition/audio learning site. The potential for this site is most likely 500-1000 users. We focus on the Greek of the Hellenistic period (from 300 B.C. to 300 A.D.) . We are still getting the menus translated.

There are some things I like about Ning and don't like. But mostly it has been a good ride. We are all non-profit and could scrape up some small moneys, perhaps the $200 for the first year. But we are still in the forming stages. I have not advertized yet because of the "translation" curve and other technical issues in dealing with foreign "case" languages.

One of the things that is going to make us go or stay is the limitation of audio uploads. To have to redirect someone to load their audio/video on YouTube and then link to it on Ning is two steps at least. Chat currently does not work correctly (Greek characters don't appear when typed) and there are several other errors that are problems and which could be dealt better with a different platform or app. I'm not sure how many textbox's I have on my home page (schole.ning.com), maybe four. Would one have to go? Will it be removed?

I keep an associated site (koineschole.ning.com) which is for looking at the Modern Greek translation of the interface. I would have to pay another $3 a month to keep this one too I suppose, even though it is only used for comparing and no activity happens on it. So that brings me up to about $25 per month.

I've been looking at Elgg (you can create a language file for the interface) and some other applications. But nothing is as complete as Ning. But when will they raise their price again? Did you all see the 40% discount in the prices they suggest. My $20 will be up to 50 per month before you know it. Too much more time on this site and I will be locked in because of the time and effort involved. It's really stay and pay or turn run time. I really don't know what to do.

Louis

So I have been looking at other options.
Hi Louis,
Wow, your topic/theme is incredibly interesting. Course, I wouldn't have a clue. But, love hearing about sites that are this unique.

On the 4 text boxes, my guess is: once the new Ning is in place, you will receive an on-screen message that you have too many text boxes. But, I'm not sure. On the audio/music files, the way I read the plans: you must subscribe to the Pro Plan for any audio upload.

Sounds like Elgg might be a great choice for you, with the language file interface.

Keep us posted, and good luck with your decision.
Best,
Jen
will most likely do a combo of things wich may and probably will include social site here and other places including our own server we will see how Ning performs before any further moves i have api acccess for ssh or ssl data transfer etc...On all but ; my ning accounts, so i'll see !
I'm really upset by this! I created a social network for my high school alumni that was what i considered an upgraded move from classmates - and have almost 500 members.

Financially, i will not be able to pay to keep my site and i already know that the members won't want to pay for it either. I worked really hard on maintaining my site and received raving compliments about it and how nice it was for me to maintain a high school alumni site.
That sucks, plain and simple. Have you considered moving somewhere else, or are you giving it up completely? Have you asked your members? They may surprise you. But, I can see where the 150 member cutoff for the mini, would really mess you up.

I think Spruz may be a great option in a case like this. They have my attention, for sure.

Good luck and keep us posted,
Jen
Wow, that's not good. But, I'm thinking for an Alumni site, it might be totally different. Alumni sites give you that feeling that you own part of the site, if that makes sense. Interesting news you've shared here, thank you.
Best,
Jen
I have a couple of suggestions...

1. I am looking at ways to stay (by charging members, unfortunately, but at VERY low rates ($5-25/yr) and covering my very own fee as well) If you'd like to join with us, I'd be happy to have you. I already have absorbed two alumni networks on my network The Human Touch.

I have put a survey up on my network, and will base our rates off the responses. Anyone who is wanting to stay on Ning but cannot afford the $20 fee and thinks the $3 fee is ridiculous, is welcome to join, and take the survey (please don't try to pay me until we've figured out the final fee). We may still have to leave, but I'm doing everything in my power to stay, while getting alternatives set up on Spruz/Grou.ps:)

2. The other suggestion is Classreport.org, which isn't as feature-rich as Ning, but they do have some of the same functionality, and members can donate to get premium features, but the main network is free.
Thank you The Human Touch. As always, you have good ideas and suggestions.
:-)
Best,
Jen
You're welcome, Jen:) Um... Can I be called by my name? It feels weird to be called by my network name, LOL. It's Janettee, BTW if you didn't know:)
Yes of course I know it's you, LOL! Otherwise I wouldn't have said "good ideas and suggestions as always". I started to say Janettee, but wasn't sure what you would want. Now I know. ;-)
LOL. Oh I meant I didn't think I PUT my name on my profile so unless you knew that was my network, you might not know it was me lol. But anyhow... Thanks;)
Yeah, I knew. ;-) k, very late and calling it a day.
Have a peaceful evening,
Jen

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by JenSocial.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Home
VIP Ning Tips