Ning Plus and Pro Pricing Increase

Just announced by Ning's CEO Jason Rosenthal, effective after July 20, 2011, Ning's Pro and Plus Subscription Plans will increase. You will have the opportunity to purchase your plans on an Annual basis to maintain the current pricing.
The new pricing will be:

According to Jason, Ning has added all kinds of new features in the past year, with major investments for an improved platform, better platform performance - - making Ning subscriptions more valuable.

He mentions the following features that have been implemented this past year:

Ning Design Studio, Social Sign-in, Leaderboards, Like Buttons and Ning Everywhere.

He then talks about the "up and coming" "Paid Access", which will enable Ning Network Creators to charge for membership for a Network or Special Content. Ning Network Creators may take issue or be confused with the mention of the "Paid Access" module in this announcement. There's an additional monthly fee to activate the new module when it's available: $19.95. It's not included in the "more valuable subscription" features.

Mr. Rosenthal completes the announcement with comments about the upcoming Activity Feed that will offer better member engagement.

My immediate thoughts are:

• The new Activity Feed rocks, no doubt about it. Ning Members can add Status Updates from the home page, comment on other member's Status Updates, make comments on Photos, Videos, etc...play videos inline, and more.
  • The other new Features are great too. There's no denying it.
  • The platform has hit an all time high on uptime, instead of downtime, at about 99% uptime according to Ning.

But here are the questions:

• How will Ning Network Creators react?
  • Is Ning soon to be the platform of choice for the larger player? Is it becoming too cost prohibitive for smaller business?
  • What do you think?

To be fair, I'll tell you all what I feel about the increase, in a little more detail:

I feel it's a bit too sudden for some NCs. And I feel the "paid access" should be included. Aside from those I'm okay with it - - especially if we continue to receive a stronger and better product. But, would I be okay with yearly increases? Absolutely not.

Ning provides a phone number for anyone who has questions about this upcoming change. Jason encourages you to give them a ring at 888-278-4386 if you are located in the U.S. or Canada, or 650-713-3158 if you are located outside of these countries.

Join the Conversation...

See original announcement on Creators

Views: 661

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When is this happening and when can I change to yearly. I would close this account but there are to many people who depend on this site to promote their work
July is when everyone's renewals come up.
For what has been added in just the past year, I'm okay with the price increase.  I might change my mind later if the platform doesn't continue to provide stellar up-time and continued support and enhanced features.

If they changed their minds and include now the "paid access" as it seems to be announced that's fair for me.... If not, it's going to be prohibitive!!! 60 + 20....

And when will be the next increase??? And the next??? And the...

They need to clarify this :-(

I am agree with new prices, but pay more for the "Paid Access" I think could be too much for many creators...

Hi All,

I'm actually confused. Are we paying more for the paid access or not? I went to the original discussion and didn't see a change.

Best,

Jen

This just means I will be handing over my other site. I think I will be changing my other site over to buddypress we only have four supporters anyway. I think thats what we are going to do.
Paid Access is STILL an add on---which means $20 above and beyond the regular fees. (Plus the percentages that PayPal and Ning will skim off your fees.)

Correct, Writer Chick. However, thinking Ning won't be making much on the PayPal fees end of things. I suppose they could have cut a deal with PayPal to make a tiny percentage. But, wouldn't know.

Best,

Jen

now every time they should improve his system we are going to pay more and more, ridiculous.
I think it's really quite disappointing - it seems to have been only a few months ago that Ning started the fee paying system and now the charges are being increased already! I'm extremely worried about what kind of charges there's going to be in the future.

I see where their positive upgrades have made a difference, not particularily for me, but I am assuming for many its whether we asked for it.  Therefore I am wondering whether adding a level inbetween the Plus and Pro for those that didn't ask for the upgrades might benefit.  This was pushing it for me anyway, in my particular genre they don't have alot of money therefore the donations are few and far between especially when we all need our buck in this economic time.

I have wonderful members and contribute to discussions, groups etc.. daily as I do, my time has been exhaustive in keeping the community active but I may have to cut out a few options to boot it down to the plus plan. I just am not sure at this point.

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by JenSocial.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Home
VIP Ning Tips