Wow, so much discussion on Creators.ning.com, we need more than Goggles to dodge the flying debris. Maybe a pair of knee high boots would help, too?

Ning 3.0 - - With all that's been discussed, from boycotts to debates, promises and rumors, you staying or going?

I'm up for the challenge, excited about the end product, and moving forward. What about you?

Views: 2885

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am a total amateur when it comes to this.  I copy and paste other talented people's code that they are smart enough to write.  So, when this new platform was announced, I watched...

What was I watching for?

The reactions of the creators/developers who know their s***t and have been here for a very long time. I watched their reactions to this new platform and I read ALL of their posts and opinions on features and usability. Read every single word.  I spent all weekend during the trial preview absorbing the pros' reactions to this.

People like Jen, for one.

The fact that Jen, and others like her, are staying with NIng and are excited about the versatility of the new platform, was enough for me. Then I got busy and started playing.

If the talented people would have left, the writing would have been on the wall...but they didn't. They're sticking around for a reason.

Valid point writer chick

I Totally agree with you, Writer Chick! I also am a copy and paster lol I very much appreciate the opinions of the creators that have always been working hard to make being a Ning network owner easier for those of us that have the love for their communities but don't have the experience that they do when it comes to coding.

I can see how many people are frustrated with the prospect of having to re-create things on their networks but I disagree with the idea that keeping the platform the way it is would be good for the communities themselves. Members usually join the sites because it caters to what interest them but they visit various places on the net and user experience is very important. They notice if other sites they visit are more responsive and easier to use on their various devices. We should all be striving to not only provide great content but also a great experience. 

But again this is just my opinion lol

You are totally correct!  Ning has to keep current witht the latest (and even be innovative) to keep the online audiences happy.  They want every site to be just like the easiest one they belong to.  2.0 looks so antiquated to me now...

Gonna let you all discuss this one, and watch, if that's okay. ;-)

LOL no prob Jen.

I also understand that people are upset about the prices. I don't subscribe to the idea that Ning or Glam Media are money hungry either. Even though I would love to get everything in life for free, I know that is not realistic. I also don't think they only want to cater to businesses. But they are a business and have to look at their bottom line. I am hoping that they will re-visit the gap between the performance and business plan pricing based on the number of members because of the hardship they may put on their current subscribers, but I still feel that the changes for the platform is worth the money.

Even as network owners, I am sure we have looked at ways to monetize our sites and made changes many times to meet our needs.  A lot of my members don't even think about what it costs me in terms of time and money to provide the site. I am sure that some of them want a totally ad free environment and would never donate a penny. I have to make the difficult decisions based on what I need to continue to provide a good product and what I want to provide to the members that I have and those that will join in the future. It's not always a easy decision and I don't take making the decisions lightly. I don't think that Ning does either. 

many left two years plus ago

OK. After trying 3.0 a bit, I have a couple comments.

1) No question about it. 1000 member limit on Entry level is TOO LOW.  If the limit was 10,000 on this first level, it would be right. Forcing creators to take the 2nd level and pay over $50 is too ambitious and they are going to have a problem keeping those of us that have been with Ning since 2006.

2) Including File Manager is brilliant! A great step forward.
3) Responsiveness is well managed. A leap forward (even if it is about a year too late) and I might add it is far more responsive than most blogging themes allow, for. I don't know if Jen has explained this to newbies, as of yet, but here is an easy explanation.http://www.seomoz.org/blog/seo-of-responsive-web-design

4) Overall. Not bad. Design studio is actually ok. Easy to do CSS changes (same as 2.0, so far) But entry level creators will not be happy with the six automatic designs (they are terrible) However 3.0 actually allows for easy changes of the designs. Out of the box is bad but a few easy changes that can be made will allow for pretty decent designs.

5) Blogging is simple and pretty straight forward. Very similar to Wordpress. When copy and pasting stuff, I see it picks up embedded photos which is a nice touch.

6) No music player is a big blow. It will make dozens of sites redundant. I will start looking around for a replacement but I will bet we don't find one considering involvement of ASCAP and BMI dues. Personally, I think this along with Chat is a feature that should be included...as it is the best feature Ning has that its competitors do not.

Everyone,

Out of all the discussions that have taken place on JenSocial over the years, this one is one of the most interesting and constructive, to follow.

Thanks for all your thoughts, insights, and shares.

Jen

Gone!

This is kind of off-topic, but I couldn't figure out where to post it. LOL   I saw this in the Creator's activity feed yesterday.  I thought Eric quit Ning?  Apparently, the Ning 3.0 Roadmap page was created by HIM.

I feel sure it's because Eric created the original page. Pretty sure Eric no longer works for Ning.

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by JenSocial.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Home
VIP Ning Tips