New Ning Design Studio, Coming - - Released in Beta on February 9, 2011

February 9, 2011 Update:

Ning just released the new Ning Design Studio in Beta.

• How to Access new Design Studio
    • Access My Network/Settings/Ning Labs and enable the beta for the new Design Studio.
    • Click on Save.
  • Warnings:
    • Please choose moving to the beta for Ning's new Design Studio, wisely. I would rather see Ning Network Creators test this some more, and then make the move.
    • This is how I understand this. When/if you make this change, none of your original custom CSS tweaks will work. For the customization you would like to add back, you will need to start adding one at a time, and testing the results. Some examples would be: Overall site colors, backgrounds, the CSS tip for scrolling through Blogs-Videos-Photos-etc...on the home page, tip for removing right column, width of site, and any other customized CSS you have added to your site.

Well, it's exciting and pretty nerve-racking, all at the same time. Ning is introducing a new Ning Theming System. They're calling it the Ning Design Studio, and it's loaded with more themes, nicer features, and a lot more. 

More About the New Ning Design Studio - -

According to Ning: (Original Discussion)

"The Ning Design Studio gives you an incredibly intuitive way to customize and transform your social experience."

• Choose from 70+ hot new themes at launch
  • See a live preview of changes as you make them
  • Set a 2- or 3-column layout and choose navigation and sidebar locations
  • Tweak 80 dials and controls for your site appearance
  • Access Developer Mode, where design gurus can access the Ning CSS and create their own themes

For more screenshots and information about the Ning Design Studio, check out this page.

For new Ning Network Creators, it'll be great. For existing Ning Networks with a lot of CSS customization, it could become a real challenge, and decision making time.

Let me explain. You'll have to choose one or the other: the old way (your current customization), or the new way (new Design Studio Theming System). Fortunately, it sounds like Ning will provide ongoing access to both Appearance Panels.

• Old Appearance Panel
    • My Network/Settings/Appearance/Advanced
    • Current panel where you tweak and add CSS.
  • New Theming System
    • Developer Mode
    • New panel where you will tweak and add CSS.

If you choose the new, then you've got to start over as far as your overall theme. There really was no other way for Ning to handle this, but to make the 2, separate entities. For those of us who have worked on our custom CSS for years, and a lot have paid for customization; you cannot use the new theming system without giving up your current customization. But, don't panic. It'll just take time to decide which way to go, and I'll be offering all kinds of help once I get my feet good and wet in the new theming system.

And as Ning explains it: What if my Ning Network is already perfect?

When the Ning Design Studio rolls out, your current theme and customizations won't change. In order to take advantage of the new features, including 2-column layouts and Developer Mode, you'll need to select one of the 70 new themes.

However, you can always revert back to your old theme at any time — you can find it in the "My Themes" section. And if you want to edit your old theme, you can choose to do so in the old appearance editor as well. This ensures a great experience for every Ning Creator. If you have any questions about this, take a look at our FAQ on the Creators Network.

Well, February 9th is right around the corner. We'll see how it goes. Here's hoping it's a great addition for all Ning Network Creators!

Views: 617

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have another concern. I'll just post the creator's question directly from the beta group. He states it perfectly:

Posted by: Rafael Marxauch

"How is the New Design Studio going to affect in the future my current design?

I have spend quite a lot of resources and time to come up with the current design for our network - Layout+CSS customizations+Widgets+Custom Code. To start from scratch and throw all this time and money expended on the site doen't seem like a good decision for our network.

I'm worry that by deciding to keep the old editor (stay out of the New Design Studio) I compromise the ability to incorporate new releases in the future.

I think that is crucial to Ning acceptance as a viable platform that new releases and features become compatible with prior versions. The inability to do that as part of the back end support to the platform brings uncertainty to many us.

1-Are we going to be able to move to the new editor and maintain our current design?

2-If I decide not to move to the New Design Studio, does Ning going to support future changes, releases and feature for us?"

Question #2 concerns me the most.  The two styles are NOT compatible.  How long will Ning continue to support both systems?  Will those of us who elect to keep the old be able to take part in future releases?  It would seem that there would be problems with that since the two don't mesh together. 

No Ning representative responded to Raphael's question. 

What are your thoughts on this Jen?

Writer Chick,

Thanks a lot for filling us in, on such critical information. I needed the FAQ link too, thanks!

My concerns are the exact same. (1) I think members will be very unhappy about wiping out their pages, (2) I fear if we don't eventually change, we're susceptible to feature bugs, etc... (3) And critical too, Ning promised me face-to-face that previous customization would not be affected. And I see they are keeping that promise. However, as our concerns from #2 - - I feel it will always be a problem. Design Clients have paid myself and other Designers, 100s and 1000s of dollars. I just hate that they will not be able to move over without issue.

Same on JenSocial and the Pet Site I co-own. If/when I switch, taking away member profile customization will be HUGE on both sites. Seriously, and Ning doesn't get this sort of thing, if we removed the ability to customize the profile pages on the Pet Site, might as well shut it down. They would completely and totally freak.

I'm all for progressiveness and moving forward. And although painful sometimes, "change" often turns out to be the best. But I do wish the switch over was more realistic.

Thanks again for sharing with us.

Best,

Jen

I finally found my discussion that clearly illustrates to me that Ning is leaning towards a Facebook-clone type platform.  This post by Ning employee, Nick Barr on Jan. 24:

kre3p, we're still finalizing profile page customization, but the current thinking is to let members change some design elements (like background, font, etc) but not huge things like theme, etc.

The reason for this is you want a profile page to complement your site, not totally contradict it. For NCs and members who want to go wild, there will still be a CSS box (with an increased limit).

Just a heads-up, we might launch the new theming system without profile page customization and support it a week or so later. I'll have more details when we get closer to launch.

I resent Ning telling me what contradicts my site and what enhances it. That should be my decision.  Provide theming for members and then give creators the "on/off button" so that those who want to look like FB can, and those who don't can let their members be creative (or "wild" as he phrased it.)  This really burned my butt when I saw it.  LOL  I proceeded to argue (nicely, of course) with Nick about this.  Another person (Spyro) piped in with his two cents about not letting members change ANYTHING.  In the end, Eric made this final statement:

"As evidenced by Spyro and Dianne's opinions, this is an issue that has strong supporters on both sides. We'll take this under consideration, along with the feedback we get from our private beta participants. Thanks."
I think if I want to live a long and healthy life, I'd better not hold my breath, huh?  LOL

Writer Chick,

Honestly, I don't know what they'll do on this, after finally catching up. Thanks to you for helping me do that. I'll say more as I work with the new Design Studio, and time goes by. I do hope Ning understands that being able to allow member profile page customization is critical to some sites. I'm trying to stay calm about it, because I know there are some major challenges coming our way, and it's all going to take time.

Rethinking my life's business plan, once again. :-) I may have to stop giving tips and support, except in the premium group. It's already overwhelming. Can you imagine what it's going to be, trying to basically support 2 theming systems?

Best,

Jen

You're a gem, Jen!
*blush*
I wonder when it's going to be released (Time wise) I am so impatient with things like this, and it's the 9th and I want to hurry up and play on my test network lol

I'm assuming you know it's been released? See update to this discussion.

Best,

Jen

The new Studios seem to make things more user friendly for fonts and colours and such, but I do not like that i have to choose one of the custom themes first - Then I am just changing it back to how I like it to start with again.

WORST OF ALL - scroll boxes don't seem to work in the new CSS box (at least in the previews).... If I cannot have scroll boxes in my forum, groups, and latest activity, there is no way I am changing!!

These are the codes I use for my scroll boxes. The designer mode is a bit confusing, and these do not work no matter where I paste them. Perhaps the codes need changing? Anyone have any idea?

.xg_widget_main .xg_module_activity .xg_module_body {height: 520px;overflow : auto;position:relative;}
.xg_widget_main .module_blog .xg_module_body {height: 380px;overflow : auto;position:relative;}
.xg_widget_main .module_forum .xg_module_body {height: 380px;overflow : auto;position:relative;}
.xg_widget_main .module_video .xg_module_body {height: 300px;overflow : auto;position:relative;}
.xg_widget_main .module_groups .xg_module_body {height: 350px;overflow : auto;position:relative;}

Eric,

I've posted my thoughts on this new Design Studio and issues, in our private club.

Best,

Jen

ooohhh.... thank you! :) I will go take a peak...

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by JenSocial.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Home
VIP Ning Tips