In the midst of the Ning Storm, What’s Your Next Move? We would love to hear from you.

On April 15, 2010, the new CEO (Jason Rosenthal) of Ning Social Networks made a fairly shocking announcement: Ning will start "phasing out free Ning Networks". ...more

In the past 2 years, Ning has become one of the Industry leaders in Social Community platforms - - enabling just about anyone to create a free Social Network of their own - - with members and a full featured Online Community.

This has been a devastating blow for a lot of small networks who can't possibly see their way clear, to pay a monthly service fee. And some of this is not just affordability to a lot of Network Creators who own free sites, but accountability and principle - - doing the right thing. Many of the free sites have been built-up over years, with more passion than one can possibly imagine. There are free sites on just about any topic imaginable - - sites like: family sites, school sports, art, environmental, church, support sites, educational sites, sites for: pets, helping find abducted children, memorial, and tons of grass-roots type causes and non-profit sites. So, it has been a shocking experience for many. And, it's not over yet.

On the other side of the coin, simply stated: for most Ning Network Owners already paying for premium services, this is a relief and great news.  Especially in regards to adding more value to their Networks - - the New Ning will possibly mean a true white label, less cross-breeding, and a chance to present Social Networks as their "own", as a real independent business, instead of "just another Ning". There are a lot of Advertisers that will not buy Ad Space from Ning Networks. It's just a fact. But, that should change too.

A lot has happened since the first announcement. For one, following the 2nd announcement on April 16, 2010 - - the much awaited Premium Package/Plans were announced on May 4, 2010. ...more

There have been tons of heated discussions going on, here on the Directory, Ning's Creator site, Spruz sites like the new Ning Refugees, and discussions taking place all over the Internet from TechCrunch to the Times. There has been a lot of screaming, loss of sleep, and even petitions. News headlines have been hopping with news about Ning, both positive and negative. Ning Competitors have been working overtime, making platform plans, changes, press releases etc...trying to offer the free Ning Networks a new home for those who can't stay on Ning.

Network Creators of free Ning Networks have been scrambling, trying to figure out what's next. So, what happens to networks whose owners don’t want to pay, can't pay, or don’t qualify for the educational sponsorship (announced with plans)?...more The Network Owners of these free Ning sites are in the process of trying to figure out an exit plan, looking for alternative platforms, and all within thirty days of the new plans’ arrival in July. Ning CEO, Jason Rosenthal makes promises of a “clear migration path...”  But no one knows yet, what will actually be available for export. And most importantly, how will the exported data/content be utilized on other platforms?

What is your next move?
  • Will you stay with Ning and upgrade to premium?
  • Will you move to another platform?
  • Are you still trying to make a decision?
  • Will you delete your Ning Network, and hope to forget the whole experience?

Views: 524

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry, I just re-read my post and for some reason there is a typo "I worked +!@#$ it" I meant to say I worked hard on it!
Keyboard is messing up and I have to keep retyping things...guess it is time to open it up and clean it.
So, I apologize to anyone who read that. It was a mistake.
KingdomzX, if you meant emotions in regards to my personal post, It wasn't meant to have read like that.
BB
eh??? not at all. direct response are indicated by an L-shaped line with an arrow at the end pointing to the response (like the one you see here now). my comment is in reference to what i have seen here on ning since the announcement was made a few weeks ago, and a response to the topic.

there are few things i detest than passive/aggressive behavior. i would have respected you by directly commenting on your post. cheers. =)
I'm not sure what word or phrase is being filtered out. We have a bad word filter in place. It could be a word I need to remove. If you provide the word with spaces, I'll know what it is.
Best,
Jen
i'm staying, but it is unfortunate so many have to leave. i wish people wouldn't allow their emotions to destroy what they've built by prematurely deleting their networks without first exploring what other services are offering, and without migrating their network's content (http://help.ning.com/cgi-bin/ning.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faq...) instead of asking their members to start all over again.

being a realist (though friends would say pessimist), i was not at all surprised by ning's announcement. i was saving my pennies for such an eventuality. i am surprised they didn't do it sooner.
I have already moved to Grou.ps because it is the same as Ning and I would say it is better than Ning in some cases............now i have a question, what will happen to this Ning directory network site after Ning's new announcement? Will it stay in Ning paying a monthly fee or move to another platform?

I am asking this question just out of curiosity
Sharif,
Thank you for your input. Feel free to add information to our Group for "Alternatives to Ning".

For everyone, be sure to join the Network Creator Group for your platform, and share your platform specific experiences while promoting your Social Network. You will see most of the Group links in our footer, and all of the Network Creator Groups in the Wibiya toolbar under "Creator Groups" - - bottom toolbar.

I just added more: Dolphin, Elgg, and Webs.com

If anyone needs me to create a new Social Network Creator Group, let me know.

Best,
Jen
My 750 member Ning site for mountain dulcimer instrument music players is going to stay on the $200/yer ning plan.
I asked my members what they wanted to do about the situation, and they all immediately said they wanted to donate something to help keep the site running more or less as is. The $500/year plan was too overpriced for what you get, we decided, so they asked me to put up a donate button on the main page.
I put up a Paypal donation button , and in 18 hours we had the $200 needed for our first year's 'rent'. In fact we had $250. I then took the button down until we needed to raise more a year from now.

I can imagine this might not work so well for a network creator with *lots* of Ning networks....but then again, maybe not all those networks are actually active or filling a big need for people. Some might do well to eliminate a few of their less used networks. I have just the one network and it is quite active and the members love it. The Paypal donation button solved the fee problem immediately for me, and my members were all very happy and proud to have made it happen themselves. Some contributed $5, some $20, etc. Didn't take long to raise the $200.

As you can imagine, because we are a site of musicians, losing the video and audio clip player features do hit us particularly hard. But we are already making 'Plan B' to work around these things and come up with alternative ways to share music and video clips. Paying an extra $300/yr to Ning for their Pro plan to keep the video/audio players was just not logical in our minds- we'll do it ourselves! :)
Wonderful example you've provided, to retain your Ning Network.
Thank you for sharing,
Jen
Just an idea, my site has set up a sister site on GROU.PS where you can upload music and videos, then members get the embed code and put it on the main ning site. a cheap and cheerful way of doing it :)
It's not just about "only" keeping our network. (eftmagyer.ning.com)
Also all the other networks that one will have to pay for in the future on the ning platform will add.
Taking that into account "and" the normal costs of keeping our other free site (www.emotionalfreedom.net) (which is already costing us over a €600,- per year) would mean a yearly minimum cost of € 1100,- per year to provide a free service to our members. It's more then we can bargain for + the fact that we refuse to ask our (all Hungarian) members for a fee. There are other solutions and we give thanks for the time we could use ning. Still hoping for a miracle :)
Gr, and good luck to all.
Patrice and Agi
I am moving to http:lightoftheascensiondream1.spruz.com. the ning site http://lightoftheascensiondream.ning.com is now officially closing. hope my ning friends will check it out and hope to see some of you there. Will ning remove all members who no longer hold a paid subscription website, or allow us to retain our basic profile so we can be members in network sites that stay on?

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by JenSocial.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Home
VIP Ning Tips